About Me

My photo
At the moment I am a junior at Guilford College. I will be studying abroad in Dundee, Scotland from January-May 2011.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Lure of Cadbury: a.k.a. How I will survive this semester

I love Cadbury Chocolate. I love the fact that one can get Cadbury eggs ALL year and EVERYWHERE!! I have decided that this semester I am going to consume lots and lots of Cadbury products: Cream Eggs, Caramel Eggs, Caramel Bars, Mini Eggs, you name it I'm going to eat it. I have also decided that people in America are missing out on the joy of having caramel filled chocolate eggs at all times during the year and not just at Easter. In my mind this needs to change in the United States.

Some of the Cadbury treats I have already enjoyed this week:

The ever famous and classic "creme egg", and the delicious "Caramel bar."

Crunchy candy coating and creamy delicious milk chocolate "mini eggs."

Sorry to rub in the fact that I get to enjoy all of these yummy treats while you have to wait before they hit the shelves. I will change the subject now. Tomorrow classes begin. Gone are the days of me getting to sleep in until noon as I have almost everyday the past week. My day will begin bright and early with Film at 9 a.m. followed by History at 10. I just got back from scoping out where my classes are located and buying notebooks. I am kind of confused as to what books I need, but I'm sure it will all be cleared up tomorrow. I am excited to start the courses. It is going to be very different than school at home because for these two courses I maybe have three assignments all semester, including the final...should be interesting. I'm not sure about my physics class yet as to how that will operate, but I know we have a lab portion, so that will be neat. I can't wait to see what the physics labs are like here and what kind of equipment we will get to work with.

I also found out a little more with the structure of the semester. So apparently we have classes from tomorrow until April 1. Then we have our three week Easter Holiday (spring break) over which I plan to do a lot of traveling, some of which will be with my cousin Rachel who is in Copenhagen starting TODAY! After break is over, we have an exam diet from April 25- May 27. Since I am in three modules, I will have three exams, spread out over this month (or just my luck they will all be close together). The rest of the time will be spent studying and hanging out, enjoying my final time in Scotland, but the thought of that is sad, so I'm done talking about it.

This week has been so much fun! I have met new people and all of them have been super nice! I am also getting accustomed to the University of Dundee nightlife, which is slightly different than what I am used to back in Greensboro, but it has been VERY fun! I have yet to try the local food seeing as the two times I have purchased food other than from a grocery store was Friday night I was having a girls' night in with friends and we ordered Pizza Hut, and then this morning we went to the union for lunch/breakfast and I had American pancakes (seriously, that is what they were called) which consisted of pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon that was more like ham, and syrup. So, I definitely need to try Haggis at some point. However, I did try Iron Bru, which is a fizzy drink (which is what they call pop) only found in Scotland, I don't even think you can get it in England or other portions of the U.K. It is orange and tastes like bubblegum, it reminds me of Frescolita, which we had in Venezuela except it was pink.

I finally purchased a UK cell phone, so now I can feel more in contact with my new friends. I have also been frequenting the gym quite a bit, which is fun because it is a really nice facility! I bought goggles the other day and I hope to hit the pool tomorrow, after sleeping in too late yesterday and today.

When I was walking around finding my classroom buildings I took a few more pictures I thought I would share.


University logo:

Picture from in one of the many courtyards that are between buildings. All the vegetation makes me feel like I go to school in the jungle!

One of the buildings on campus.

How cool are our signs to point to the different buildings!

I just thought this sign was funny, they are everywhere.

That is all for now! I will definitely be updating after my first few days of class!

No comments:

Post a Comment