About Me

My photo
At the moment I am a junior at Guilford College. I will be studying abroad in Dundee, Scotland from January-May 2011.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Adapting to my New Environment

Well today is my second full day in Dundee! Slowly, but surely, I am exploring more of the campus and city around me.

Yesterday I did a whole lot of nothing. Even though I went to bed at 7:30 the night before, I was so beat from traveling that I slept in until about noon. I then splashed some water on my face and tried to decide what to wear, however it did not take me long since I am still without luggage. I had a carb-heavy breakfast of crackers, warm grapes, and granola bars...yum. I then lounged around hoping that my luggage would arrive...no such luck. I read my Scotland book and figured out that my plug-in adapter really did work so I was able to be on my computer.

Eventually, I got very tired of being in my room all alone, so I wandered around my building, but sadly there was no one to be found. So I continued to relax, read, be on the internet and work on internship applications. Finally I was sick of being gross and I was feeling a little worse for ware, so I figured I needed more sustenance besides carbs. So, I looked up on google maps where the closest store was and set out on my adventure. I successfully found the store in the dark (it was right down the street) and bought some clemintines, salad, bagels, cream cheese, milk, and cereal, and what I thought was shampoo. Feeling very accomplished, when I returned to my room I decided to shower. However, I looked at the bottle I had absentmindedly grabbed, and in my discombobulated state, I bought conditioner instead of shampoo :-( Drat!

After a disappointing shower, I decided to eat some food and watch a movie before bed. Even though it was a rather uneventful day it was nice to just relax a bit, although it would have been nicer if there were more people around...

This morning, I awoke about 8:45 and peered out my window, only to find that it was just getting light! I guess this makes sense along with it getting dark at 4 pm since we are so far north. Then something amazing happened...I heard a noise in the hall around 10:30! I opened my door to find another person! She was moving into the room across from mine, it was the best thing ever! Her name is Christina and she is from New York. It is nice to not be alone anymore! She even let me borrow her shampoo so I could take a real shower!

Around noon Christina and I ventured to the Dalhousie building to learn more information about this week and Dundee. We learned about a store named Primark that is apparently very cheap and in the shopping center down the street. We met another girl from New York (I can't remember her name at the moment) and the three of us ventured to this store. It was very easy to find and the shopping center has most of the same stores as the U.S. (Gap, H&M, and Claire's to name a few). We found Primark and it was very cheap! I decided to buy a towel and a bathmat since I am towelless and have been using a t-shirt to dry myself, I got both of these for only £5! I would say that is a good deal, it would be about $8 in the U.S. I then stopped and bought small bottles of shampoo and body wash to tide me over until my luggage arrives.

The three of us made plans to hang out later and even go out tomorrow for my birthday! After dropping my stuff off in my flat, I had to go to my physics advisor meeting. The professor I spoke to was very nice and helpful. My courses are all still a mess but hopefully after my next advisor meeting tomorrow all will be set right!

After my meeting I decided to take an alternate route back to my room. I found the student union, which houses the pool (it is a small 4 or 5 laner) and many bars, restaurants, a convienience store, and other offices and such. I picked up information about the gym and how much memberships are. I find it odd that we have to pay for that separately, but I guess at Guilford our studen activities fees go toward this. The gym membership and pool is £78 but I think I'm going to do it since it is not going to be nice enough to run outside for a while.

I am now back in my room relaxing for a moment. I might go explore some more in a little while! Again, sorry this is so long winded but so much has happened! Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. What a resourceful one you are, using a shirt for a towel! Good thing you had a spare,huh? BTW, I think the gym/pool sounds like a good deal.

    BTW, I love reading your blog. I hope you have a chance to continue writing once your life fills with school and such.

    Love ya! Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete