About Me

My photo
At the moment I am a junior at Guilford College. I will be studying abroad in Dundee, Scotland from January-May 2011.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I Shake my Fist at You, Grimvotn.

I guess I kind of lied to you yesterday when I said it was my final day in Scotland. Apparently the Grimvotn volcano in Iceland thought Tucker and I should stay an extra day in Edinburgh. When we left Dundee yesterday I saw something about the volcano erupting, but I didn't really think much of it. Then last night as Tucker and I were relaxing in our nice hotel we saw on the news that some flights to and from Scotland were starting to be canceled due to the volcanic ash. Needless to say I was a bit distraught when I heard that our airline was one of the main ones canceling flights.

I managed to get on the hotel internet and began to figure out what was going on. I first looked at the Delta website, but according to it everything was fine. I then checked the KLM website (our first flight from Edinburgh to Amsterdam was operated by KLM) and much to my dismay I saw that our flight had already been canceled. I frantically texted my mom and we began to sort out this mess.

We couldn't do a whole lot about it last night, but early this morning I got back on facebook to chat with my mom (I feel bad because it was midnight at home...). Luckily she was able to get through to the nice people at Delta and got Tucker and I scheduled for a flight tomorrow morning. Hopefully the ash will stay enough away (or clear up enough) so Tucker and I can try this all again tomorrow. We are now flying home through Paris instead of Amsterdam. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this path is clear for aircraft.

Luckily Tucker and I were able to book another night at our lovely hotel. We were only able to do so after there was a cancellation...at least something is going in our direction. I think we will spend the day walking around Edinburgh, finding food, and enjoying the rain. Supposedly the ash cloud is supposed to cover much of Scotland by noon today.

Too bad I didn't have connections to Obama because they are currently in the UK and they could just give us a lift in Airforce One back to the U.S. Anyway, I am hoping that we will be on our way back to the United States tomorrow, and by 9 pm central time we will be in the loving arms of our parents at the Moline airport.

The adventure continues.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment